We believe that to be competent in coding for a subspecialty, the coder must do it every day. Consequently, we require our obstetric and gynecology coders to focus only on surgery; we don’t even allow them to code the E&M services provided by their gynecologist-clients. We have a separate group of E&M coders who specialize in ob/gyn E&M services. All of our coders live-and-work in the United States. Each must have a minimum of three years of ob/gyn coding experience and must pass our very demanding proficiency tests for that subspecialty. Unlike the coding certification tests which are largely multiple choice, our ob/gyn-specific coding proficiency test uses actual de-identified operative reports from our tertiary ob/gyn specialists. The few who pass must demonstrate an accuracy rate of at least 95% on our ongoing random Quality Assurance/Continuous Accuracy Improvement reviews in order to continue working for The Coding Network.
Compare The Coding Network’s approach to quality to the majority of our competitors, both domestic and in off-shore “third world” countries; their business model is to offer would-be coders a vocational “trade school” experience designed to prepare them for the certification test. Once they pass, they are placed within that company to code for you. It’s the equivalent of having an intern perform brain surgery!
Many surgeons believe that nobody knows better than he/she what was done in the operating room, “so I’m the best one to code it.” The first part of that sentence is correct, but does not logically lead to the correct conclusion. Coding is dynamic; does that surgeon who does his/her own coding know that a recent data set includes 24,060 new active pairs and 19,083 terminated pairs (237 were terminated retroactively to 1/1/09) and 869 modifier changes, and 5,299 swapped pairs? Those changes don’t even touch the many annual and quarterly modifications to the CPT and ICD-10 coding systems. Coding cannot be cavalierly considered as simply an “afterthought” to performing an operation. Like being an gynecologist, ob/gyn surgery coding is a career of its own.
The Coding Network’s Ob/Gyn Surgery Coding Section
- Directed by a nationally known surgical coding expert.
- Decades of experience in ob/gyn and gyn-onc surgery coding for academic and private practices.
- Team of certified ob/gyn surgical coders each with a focus on gynecologic subspecialties.
- Experience in coding for obstetricians and gynecologists in 50 states.
Surgical Coding Needs
- Well trained og/gyn surgery specialty coders are difficult to find, expensive to recruit, and their ongoing “care and feeding” can be quite costly.
- Few certified coders have the extensive ob/gyn surgery coding experience and specialty knowledge possessed by The Coding Network’s staff of ob/gyn surgery coding experts.
- Gyn-onc and uro-gyn coding is complex, challenging, and demanding. Small coding errors can make huge reimbursement and compliance issues.
- Coder turnover creates cash flow peaks-and-valleys.
- Smaller ob/gyn practices cannot cost-justify a full time certified coder. They are an expensive overhead item who often use their highly paid time on other less-challenging non-coding tasks.
- There is no such thing as a “mulligan” when submitting Medicare and insurance claims. They must be accurate the first time. The legal and financial risks of upcoding or undervaluation are enormous.
TCN’s Ob/Gyn Surgery Coding Solution
- The Coding Networks surgical coders are “black belts” in each individual subspecialty within the entire spectrum of ob/gyn surgery coding. We offer you coders specializing in:
- Reproductive Medicine
- We can remotely dial into your electronic medical record or transcription service’s archives.
- 2-to-3 business day coding turnaround.
- HIPAA and HITECH compliance; no documents are sent off-shore.
- Our per-case pricing model is inexpensive and our team of coders stabilizes cash flow. You only pay for what you need. Never worry about revenue cycle “whiplash” caused by absences, vacations, family leaves, etc.
- No monthly minimum gives you total control.
- Volume-driven pricing makes us an ideal ongoing solution for practices of all sizes.
- Identification and feedback of documentation deficiencies at no additional cost.
- A practical and cost-effective solution for your ob/gyn coding needs.
- No monthly minimums.
- Ongoing day-to-day coding.
- Temporary ob/gyn surgery coding to cover vacations, medical leaves and employee turnover.
- Backlog coding resolution services.
- Coding accuracy audits with user friendly and educational report formats to identify both compliance exposure and missed revenue opportunities.
- Documentation training services with subspecialty workbooks.
- Coding “helpline” services.
- RAC and OIG audit defense.